Under the Willow

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Witch Shoes and Mummy Pumpkin

Crafting takes a long time.  Especially when you are working with glues and paints that have to dry.  I've been working on my witch shoes.This pair I gave a coat of matte black paint on the inside and black gloss paint on the outside.  I wanted to make sure the original brown color of the shoe wouldn't show through the glitter I would be applying later.


Then I coated the shoes in Mod Podge (gloss), and sprinkled black glitter on them.


Then I had to wait for them to dry.


Here is what they looked like then.  I could have left them like this but the glitter was coming off and getting on everything.


So I decided to give them a top coat of Mod Podge.  I didn't want to miss any chance for sparkle so I used the glitter Mod Podge.


And here they are dry. So cute and sparkly!




The other pair just needed some finishing touches.  I added some spiky shape pieces on the back and I put glossy black paint around the top edge of the shoe to make the pieces I added look more like they belonged.  I also painted the inside of the shoes with matte black paint.

Before


After


I think it really helped them look more complete and stylish.



And I worked on my mummy pumpkin.  You have already seen the pumpkin with just the gray ribbon wrapped around it.  I glued it on the same way I'll show below.  I also glued on some eyes.  It may be hard to tell but the eyes are slightly different sizes.


I found it helpful to hold the fabric to the pumpkin while the glue dries with straight pins.  I used this Weldbond glue to be sure that the different materials would all stayed glued to each other.


So here I just started wrapping the off white fabric around the pumpkin, gluing and pinning as I went.


Making sure not to cover the eyes.




And here he is all dry and pins removed!


Happy crafting.

1 comment: